Monday, October 17, 2011

con·science

the sense of what is right and wrong that governs somebody's thoughts and actions, urging him or her to do right rather than wrong
maybe it’s a little green cricket dressed smartly in a top-hat. maybe it’s two little characters lingering on the shoulders. one wears a white robe with a halo, the other carries red pitch fork and has horns. maybe it’s just human instinct.
in my opinion it’s light. the light of a higher being helping to inspire either happiness and comfort, or conflict and guilt in each of us. every human is born with a natural sense of what’s right and what’s wrong. different cultures may instill different values dependent upon social norms. as years go on, many people grow up, and certain values will change. consciences may become numb from so much neglect, while others will still remain strong, influencing characters for the better.
the question is, do we listen to this influence? from the insignificant choice of which jeans to wear to the influential decision of whether or not to study, a variety of choices need to be made each day.  luckily, we have a guide. “it works according to our faith and diligence…”

I was blessed enough to have some experiences a weekend ago that forced me to exercise my agency. choosing "the right" suddenly became harder than it had ever been. what really is right? do I know? who am I and what am I doing with my life anyway? 

sometimes...you choose before you think. and sometimes that's ok. you choose on impulse because ultimately it doesn't matter. and sometimes you leap before you look because you're scared to look or listen. I didn't take time to listen, I blindly stepped forward, shunning the little green cricket in a top hat. I'm sure he was whispering, "Megan, Megan...think! you have a brain and you have me. listen, Megan. Megan..." but somewhere inside, I already knew the consequences. so I shut my eyes and walked on, choosing my own path.

admittedly, my eternal progression didn't come to a halt. my heart was just a little wounded and confusion littered my thoughts for a few days. I became ever more aware of that light within. the flame flickered a little bit in my moment of disregard, however, I kindled with more care than ever before.

so maybe, all I want to say is listen to that cricket.
weigh the options presented by the characters on either shoulder.
feel that light.
 pay attention to your feelings and let them be guided by that Spirit.
He's watching out for you, and He can see the big picture, so His opinion will always be superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment